Keep That Fresh-from-the-Garden Flavor at Your Table
Easy to grow and often abundant, squashes are a garden delight. Don’t just drop them off at your neighbor’s front door. Squash is a cookbook by Julia Rutland that features 50 easy recipes for busy cooks who enjoy great flavor. The author is a professional writer, recipe developer, recipe tester, and television/media demonstrator, so you can be certain that every recipe is a crowd-pleaser! And when your gardens are filled with more than you can eat, you’ll find simple and delicious ways to preserve those fresh bounties.
- 50 recipes―tested and tasted by the author, an expert food stylist
- Desserts, breakfasts, breads, soups, and main dishes
- Full-color photography from a professional food photographer
- Tips on buying, cooking, cutting, and preserving squash
People love squashes because the flavor connects them to holidays, special occasions, and shared family dinners. Add Squash to your cookbook collection, and savor this wonderful variety of delicious recipes. It features the most popular types of summer and winter squashes: zucchini, yellow, butternut, pumpkin, acorn, spaghetti, and more. These dishes are sure to become instant family favorites.
About the Author
Excerpt. © Reprinted by permission. All rights reserved.
Summer Squash-and-Corn Chowder
Crispy bacon adds a rich flavor to this light soup. If you prefer a vegetarian version, skip the bacon and add smoked paprika to taste.
Makes 8 servings
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- Pinch of red chile flakes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium-size zucchini or yellow squash, diced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Thyme sprigs
Cook bacon in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat until crispy. Remove and drain on paper towels.
Melt butter in same pan over medium heat. Add bell pepper, onion, celery, and chile flakes. Cook 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Add flour; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
Stir in broth, half-and-half, and salt. Bring to a simmer and stir in squash, corn, and thyme. Simmer 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cooked and crumbled bacon. Garnish, if desired.
- Publisher : Adventure Publications (October 8, 2019)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 136 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1591939097
- ISBN-13 : 978-1591939092
- Item Weight : 12.8 ounces
Dimensions : 6 x 0.5 x 9 inches